Supplies Needed To Apply The Film
Gather all of the supplies youll need before you begin the process of placing the film. Once you have measured and cut the piece to fit if needed, and you are ready to put it on the surface, you will want to work quickly. Unlike its sticky counterparts, adhesive-free window film doesnt require sponges or cutting tools. A simple squeegee is recommended to assist in smoothing out the inevitable bubbles and creases that come from smoothing on the clingy material.
You will need a spray bottle with clean tap water and a sponge. Make sure you have a large enough spray bottle to contain enough water to cover the area multiple times if needed. Use the sponge to clean up overspray and to smooth out the edges of the film once it is firmly attached to the window, door, wall or other surface.
If you dont have a spray bottle, a damp sponge can be used as well. Just make sure that there are droplets of water on the window when applying the adhesive-free film.
Ornate Faux Stained Glass
Stained-glass windows are salvage gold, with many reuse possibilities, like serving as doors for a stylish bar cabinet. Add some of the beauty of stained glasswithout the soldered lead rods and colorful pieces of glass found in the real dealby sticking on film that copies the look. Perhaps you’ll love it enough to invest in actual salvaged stained glass.
Shown: Magnolia Decorative Window Film by Artscape, 24-by-36-inch roll About $24 The Home Depot
Other Uses For Adhesive
It is always best to buy a bit more than you need to account for mistakes, particularly if it is your first time working with this type of product. If you have a few strips or squares left over after neatly applying the film to your windows or glass doors, then you are in luck. It can be used on hard plastic such as smartphone covers and wood surfaces such as shelving.
This type of product can be used in many ways. It is durable and delightful to look at on any surface that is slick and relatively smooth.
- Apply window film to the inside surface of windows and the outside of shower doors.
- Save the backing paper. To take the film down and reuse it elsewhere, store it on its original backing paper so it retains its static cling.
- Handle utility knives carefully. Keep them out of the reach of children.
- Don’t shake the spray bottle. Agitating the soap will cause it to form suds, which don’t wet the window or the film properly.
Kimberley McGee is an award-winning journalist with 20+ years of experience writing for a variety of clients, including The New York Times, Las Vegas Review-Journal Home section and other national publications. As a professional writer she has researched, interviewed sources and written about home improvement, interior design and related business trends. She earned a B.A. in Journalism from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Her full bio and clips can be viewed at www.vegaswriter.com.
Recommended Reading: Outdoor Table Decoration For Summer
Our Window Film To Block Heat Buying Guide
Blocking the amount of sun that shines into your apartment or home can help a lot with your electricity bill. In warmer days, it is important to look into options that will help you reduce heat and stay cooler.
With heat blocking window films, you can stop heat in its tracks. Films come in all shapes and sizes, so you should have no problem finding the right fit for you. The right fit is important because you want the film to cover your window completely for the best results.
Films add comfort and efficiency to your home. They reject solar energy, reduce glare and make your interior cooler. They also block UV rays, helping you and your furniture stay safe and in good condition. A great option would be the Gila heat control three in one window film.
You should look for films that are durable and are tear-resistant. They should also be easy to install and be able to firmly stick to your windows. The better it sticks, the better the protection. If you are looking for the best way to stick a film to your window, look for films that use static cling versus a film that adheres right to your window.
The adhesive usually lasts longer, but the static cling gives you more flexibility. With static cling, if you think you placed the film incorrectly, you can easily take it off and start again. With adhesive, once you place it, that is where it will stick. If you are placing a film for the first time, we suggest using a film backing with static cling first to test it out.
Add A Frosted View For Bathroom Privacy
That salvage yard find will do just fine for your powder room with the addition of window film. Make doors with gracious glass panels work for a half bath by applying frosted film that offers a mere glimpse of the charming wallpaper within.
Similar to shown: Translucent Crackled Glass Privacy/Decorative Static Cling Window Film by Gila, 36-by-78-inch roll About $32 Lowe’s
Read Also: Cabinet Door Decorative Metal Mesh
Some Usual Questions And Answers
1.Q:The window film can’t adhesive on the window. Could you have some suggestions?
A:Our window film is a static self-adhesive window film without need glue. Please check the backing film is be torn off. Spray a lot of water both on the window surface and window film back during installation for effective attachment. Finally scrapted all the bubbles and extra water.
2.Q:The window film’s edges can’t adhesive on the window. Could you have some suggestions?
A:When itcurls at corners or edges, please try to blow the films with a hairdryer or soften it by soaking in warm water. Set a hairdryer to high heat with low speed and run it over the film, holding 1″-2″ away from the film surface.
3.Q:The window film not have any color in the package. Could you have some suggestions?
A:Our window film is transparent itself. Because of its special laser design, the window film won’t stay a single performance. And changes its color depending on the intensities of sunshine. The window film will show you a nice visual experience like rainbow only under the enough light. So you can get a different look in the film when you are under different conditions of sunlight. To achieve the best visual effect, it is recommended for somewhere that can get sufficient sunlight.
4.Q:The backing film of the window film can’t be torn off easily. Could you have some suggestions?
Open Up To A World Of Window Treatment Possibilities With Rabbitgoo Window Films For Privacy
- Have no idea to decorate your home? From the windows!
- Dealing with bright sunlight and glare, but do not want heavy curtains or blinds?
With rabbitgoo decorative window films, you can easily give your windows the look of etched, textured, or stained glass. 80% privacy level gives you a safe feeling at your own place. Whether youâre creating privacy in a bathroom, or bringing a soft glow to a bedroomâThis window privacy film lets you customize your surroundings and give your windows new life.
- Enhance your decor with a 3D tulip pattern. It will create a rainbow effect when sunlight hits the window film
- Add privacy– 80% semi-private protection
- Improve security
- Reduce heat and glare from UV rays
- Prevent birds from flying into windows
Tips: The static cling window film works only on flat, clean, and smooth surfaces. It will not stick on plastic, broken, or uneven surfaces.
Don’t Miss: Lifeproof Flooring Vs Home Decorators Collection
The Heat Control Window Film Buying Guide
- Before you start shopping, its important to know the difference between the light-blocking properties of each type of film. This is essential because it determines how much of the outdoor heat your privacy film can keep out. Youll get the most insulation from Gila Privacy Black Window Film, 36×78-Inch, which blocks 99 percent of all UV rays and 94 percent of glare. Youll get 85-percent sunlight blocking with the CottonColors Heat Control Privacy Glass, 35×79-Inch.
- However, there can be a downside to all that sunlight reduction. As Liston points out, youll lose some natural light when your insulating film is too strong.
A film with a total solar energy rejection number in the 70-percentile range will make your home feel much cooler while not inhibiting too much natural light, Liston says. UV rejection in the 90-percentile range is common and will minimize damaging rays and contribute to the heat reduction. If you want more natural light in your room, go with a film that denotes 60-70% light transmission. However, many people find a 49% light transmission to be a good compromise between allowing some natural light in while keeping the glare to a minimum.
Shipping And Return Policies
Recommended Reading: Decorative Address Labels For Wedding Invitations
The Window Film To Block Heat Tips And Advice
- Pay attention to how much heat and light a film will block. There are variations and one might fit your needs better.
- Think about where in your house you need the most protection. You might not need to place films all over the house, but just in certain areas that are most affected.
- Do not forget about your skylights. These have direct sun hitting them and may be the cause of a warmer home.
- Read up on the instructions. If you have an adhesive backing, you want to make sure you get it right the first time.
- Films also come in different colors and designs. You can even make your windows look like stained glass if you want to. There are options ranging from super simple to more elaborate.
- Ask for help if you need it no matter how easy you think the installation process will be. You might want an extra person there to help you place the film and smooth it out so there are no bubbles.
- If you are looking for films for something other than glass, look for films that feature multi-surface adhesion.
- The longer a films warranty, the better it might hold up. Look for films that are warrantied against bubbling, cracking and fading.
- Films can be left up in all seasons, so do not think you have to take them down once summer is over.
Gila Glass Scenes Crackled Glass Privacy Window Film
Gila® Decorative Crackled Glass Window Film is an elegant, economical alternative to expensive window treatments. Its texture and pattern enhance the look of your windows while increasing privacy. Unlike drapes, blinds or shades, it wont hide window frames or block out natural light. Our static cling technology makes it a perfect DIY project for homes or offices. Its perfect for windows but can work wonders on any flat glass surface like doors, tabletops and cabinet fronts, too.
Recommended Reading: One Bedroom Apartment Decorating Ideas
Turn A Surface Into A One
A kitchen sink window overlooking the yard gives a chance to watch over playing kids, but also gives nosy neighbors a peek inside. Get a covert view with a reflective film on an exterior window for an eagle-eye view with privacy.
Shown: Privacy Mirror Window Film by Fancy-fix, 20-inch-by-60-inch roll About $16
Gila Glass Scenes Filigree Privacy Window Film
A luxurious alternative to expensive window treatments, Gila® Decorative Filigree Window Film is both beautiful and cost-effective. Films precise application wont block natural light or hide window frames like drapes, shades or sheers. Gila Filigree Window Film lets in the suns natural warmth and looks great. Easy-to-handle and designed for DIY projects, its the perfect choice for homes, offices and small businesses alike. Static cling technology attaches to any flat glass surfacetry it on doors, cabinet fronts and tabletops, too.
Recommended Reading: Metal Wall Decor With Lights
Gila Window Film Donates $35000 To Susan G Komen
Multimedia from this Release
CAMPAIGN: High Performance Window Films
CONTENT: Press Release
Kingsport, Tenn., October 1, 2013 /3BL Media/ Eastman Chemical Companys Gila®Window Film is observing Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October with a minimum guaranteed donation of $35,000 to Susan G. Komen For the Cure®. Gila® do-it-yourself film products offer homeowners a fast, easy, affordable way to improve the look and performance of windows without professional installation.
During October and November, 2013, Gila will have a promotional display at participating Lowes featuring commemorative pink packaging in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness. The special packaging with the Komen Running Ribbon will be on four products from Gilas Glass Scenes window film collection: Crackled Glass, Spiral Mosaic, Autumn Frost and Shimmer. All four products will be available in the window treatment section of the Home Décor department at Lowes. Additional placements of Crackled Glass and Autumn Frost will be featured in a nearby off-shelf display.
So many lives are touched by breast cancer whether your mother, sister, neighbor, co-worker we all know someone who has battled this difficult disease, says Dan Birkenmeier, global business manager for Eastmans performance films. Our partnership with Komen allows Eastman to aid in generating awareness of Komens mission to save lives and end breast cancer forever.
About Susan G. Komen
Provide Shade For Charming Windows And Doors
As seen in our Save This Old House column, ornate trim is a major selling point of fixer-uppers. When photographer Melissa and her husband purchased a 130-year-old Italianate, in Hudson, Wisconsin, they wanted to keep the focus on the gracious antique windows while preventing sunlight from damaging the refinished floors. So they opted for sun-control film to let the windows and the landscape they frame take center stage.
Shown: 3M Sun Control Window Film Prestige 50, 3M.com for dealers
Also Check: Log Cabin Home Decor Ideas
How To Apply The Adhesive
Unroll the film and lay it flat. Fill a water bottle or basin with water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Using a damp sponge or spray bottle, liberally wet the clean and prepped surface. Start at a corner and peel the clear backing from the decorative film. Place the film with the shiny side facing the wet window or other surface.
If it is crooked or otherwise not exactly where you want it, slowly peel it off the window and reposition it as desired. Use two hands and be gentle so that it doesnt tear or bend. Make sure that no lint, dust or other household debris gets on the clingy surface while you work.
Once the film is where you want it, use a squeegee to smooth out the surface. Work from the center to the outer edges. Look for tiny bubbles or creases. A vibrant or detailed design can hide tiny bubbles that will eventually cause cracks or discoloration in the film.
Before Applying Window Film
Whether it is a window, door or wall, you need to take a few steps before applying the slick piece of film. Wash the area well with soap and water if it is truly grimy. Give it a pass with glass cleaner or a mild cleaning solution until the paper towel or rag comes away clean.
The cleaner the surface, the longer the adhesive-free film will cling to the window or wall. Use a squeegee to pull off fine dust after you have thoroughly cleaned the window. Make sure the surface is completely free of soap or cleaner residue before applying the film.
Niviy 3d Flower Window Film
- Privacy Protection: Provides nice privacy while letting the light in, allows you to enjoy a comfortable life, and keep enough light for the plants.
- Beautiful Look: Creates beautiful rainbows when the sun hits it or the light shines, adding elegance to your home.
- Easy to Install: This window film is static cling and no adhesive, only use some water, and can be applied in minutes.
- UV Protection: Blocks out 96% harmful UV Rays, protect your skin and prevent floor, curtain, carpet, furniture, art and many fabrics fade aging.
- Reusable: Easy to remove, leaves no residue, simply peeled it from the corner and keep it in a roll, can be reuse multiple times just wet it again.
- Package Included: 1 Roll window film x1 PIECE Window Film Installation Instruction.
- The window film works only on CLEAN and SMOOTH glass surfaces. Please do not apply to outside window or windows with cracks.
How To Apply Adhesive
They are a great way to increase privacy and bump up the visual aesthetic both indoors and outdoors. Adhesive-free window treatments are inexpensive and are relatively easy to apply to clean windows.
For those who rent, applying adhesive-free window decals can be a great way to add decor to a bland space without damaging paint jobs on walls. Small spaces can be livened up with vivid colors and intricate designs. For those who want to let light in but not allow the neighbors an ongoing reality show via your bedroom window, a simple opaque flick of film in the right area offers a lot of privacy as well as soft beams of light to brighten your home spaces.
Recommended Reading: Miami Party Rental And Decor
Still Looking For Something